Public Charging Piles in China Increased by 56.6% YoY in September
On October 11, the China Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Promotion Alliance (EVCIPA), guided by China’s National Energy Administration, released the state of operations of the national electric vehicle battery charging and swapping infrastructure in September.
In terms of the operation of public charging infrastructure, the number of public charging piles increased by 12,000 in September 2022 compared with August, with a year-on-year increase of 56.6% in September. By September 2022, member units within the alliance (including electric vehicle manufacturers, power grid enterprises, telecommunication service providers, etc.) had reported a total of 1.636 million public charging piles, including 704,000 DC charging piles and 931,000 AC charging piles. From October 2021 to September 2022, about 49,000 public charging piles were added every month.
Public charging piles built in eastern regions such as Guangdong, Jiangsu, Shanghai and Beijing accounted for 71.5%. The piles are mainly being used by buses and passenger cars, while other types of vehicles such as sanitation logistics vehicles and taxis account for a relatively small proportion. In September 2022, the total charged power in China was about 2.19 billion kWh, a decrease of 140 million kWh from last month, a year-on-year increase of 106.9% and a quarter-on-quarter decrease of 5.8%.
According to the operation of public charging infrastructure operators, as of September 2022, the TOP 3 charging piles operated by charging operators in China are: Teld has 316,000 units, Starcharge has 312,000 units and YKC has 218,000. The top 15 operators accounted for 92.9% of the total, and the remaining operators accounted for 7.1% of the total.
As for the overall operation of charging infrastructure, from January to September 2022, the increment of charging infrastructure was 1.871 million units, of which the increment of public charging piles increased by 106.3% year-on-year, and the increment of private charging piles built on board continued to increase by 352.6% year-on-year. As of September 2022, the cumulative number of charging infrastructures in China was 4.488 million units, an increase of 101.9% year-on-year.
SEE ALSO: China Accelerates Construction of Highway Charging Infrastructure
Comparing charging infrastructure with electric vehicles, from January to September 2022, the increment of charging infrastructure was 1.871 million units, and the sales volume of new energy vehicles was 4.567 million units. Meanwhile, charging infrastructure and new energy vehicles continued to expand. The increment ratio of pile to vehicle is currently 1:2.4, and the charging infrastructure construction is able to meet the rapid development of new energy vehicles.
Since the beginning of this year, the sales of new energy vehicles in China have shown some stable upwards momentum. According to statistics, by the end of 2022, the number of electric vehicles in China will exceed 10 million; As of August, the number of charging piles was 4.315 million, exceeding the earlier forecast for the whole year. By 2030, the number of electric vehicles in China is targeted to meet 80 million.
With the booming market of new energy vehicles, all localities are speeding up the layout of green travel and promoting the construction of supporting facilities such as charging piles and battery swapping stations.